- Business Relationships – Maintaining strong, trusted, and long-term business relationships.
- Communication – Excellent communication skills, including speaking, writing, and listening. Specification sales engineers need to be able to inspire and manage the specifiers on a project, as well as establishing their requirements and providing solutions.
- Product Knowledge – Should have an excellent knowledge of their products and be familiar with the latest changes to standards and regulations. Must be able to provide any technical information, advice, and supporting evidence required, and be able to explain this clearly and concisely in appropriate levels of detail.
- Adaptability – Will need to adapt the changing requirements throughout the cycle of a project, allowing bespoke solutions to be offered or problems solved.
- Result Driven – Specification sales engineer needs to be results-focused, driven, dynamic and tenacious. They should be able to work well under pressure and have tenacity, great negotiation techniques and sound business judgement.
Create Opportunities – Focus on creating opportunities at an early stage in the design process in order to secure product specifications which will reduce the effect of competitive bids when contracts go to tender